Standard Trapping Course




3 Days



May 27 - 29, 2022 Rocky Mountain House/Leslieville NOW FULL
May 31 - Jun 2, 2022 Edson High School CANCELLED
Jun 3 - 5, 2022 Fort McKay CLOSED COURSE
Jun 14 - 16, Beaver Lake Cree Nation CLOSED COURSE
Aug 26 - 28, Manning
Sept 9 - 11, 2022 Fort McMurray ACFN CLOSED COURSE
Sept 16 - 18, 2022 Lac La Biche
Sept 16 - 18, 2022 Alberta Centre For Trapping and Bushcraft
Oct 14 - 16, 2022 Westlock
Oct 21 - 23, 2022 Eureka River/Worsley
Nov 18 - 20, 2022 Alberta Centre For Trapping and Bushcraft
Dec 9 - 11, 2022 Alberta Centre For Trapping and Bushcraft
Jan 13 - 15, 2023 Alberta Centre For Trapping and Bushcraft
Feb 10 - 12, 2023 Alberta Centre For Trapping and Bushcraft
Mar 17 - 19, 2023 Alberta Centre For Trapping and Bushcraft
Apr 21 - 23, 2023 Alberta Centre For Trapping and Bushcraft
May 12 - 14, 2023 Alberta Centre For Trapping and Bushcraft
Jun 16 - 18, 2023 Alberta Centre For Trapping and Bushcraft


These courses are offered throughout the province at various locations, at various times of the year.

The Standard Trapping course is your first step toward becoming a trapper. The course includes:

  • instruction on the safe use of traps and other equipment,

  • biology of furbearers,

  • animal management,

  • marketing and grading of furs,

  • skinning and fur handling, as well as

  • humane trapping techniques.

The Alberta Government refers to a Trapline as a Registered Fur Management Area (R.F.M.A)

There are two kinds of trapping licences in Alberta:

  1. Registered Licence and

  2. Resident Licence.

A Registered License allows a trapper the right to trap a portion of Alberta and with that privilege the trapper may have a cabin to help with trapping activities. This is most commonly called a “trapline”. A trapper does not own the land but has the right to trap the fur on that portion subject to a five-year permit with annual renewals. The trapper cannot sell the land on which they trap, selling a trapline refers to the assets within that trapline.

The Resident Licence allows a trapper to trap on private property with the owner’s permission. This simply requires the consent of the landowner through a properly filled out government form called a WA 19A, available for download here, or at a Fish and Wildlife district office. Your Resident Trapping Licence number must be legible on the form. Many trappers choose this method of trapping and – subject to seasons – resident trappers can harvest most furbearers in the province.

Both Registered and Resident trappers are subject to the rules, regulations and seasons. A guide to these is found in the Alberta Trapping Regulations, which are published yearly.

  • The minimum age to take the course is 12, however, an adult in attendance must be assigned responsibility for any student under the age of 18.

  • The cost of the course is $399.00 and includes the Trapper Education Manual.

  • This does NOT include your lodging and meals - this is arranged and paid for by your own preference

Courses Run Friday, Saturday and Sunday

  • There is a minimum of 10 participants required to hold a course


Instructors Vary

Trapping Instructors are trained by the Alberta Trappers Association. They follow a Code of Conduct as well as staying up to date with their skills at an annual training session.

"If you have taken a course or workshop at the Alberta Centre for Trapping & Bushcraft and would like to leave a review on Google, here is the link to share your experience"