top of page

Standard Trapping Course


3 Days




Sept 22 - 24, 2023, Whitefish Lake #128 First Nation CLOSED COURSE
Sep 22 - 24, 2023 Drayton Valley
Oct 5 - 7, 2023 Coaldale NOW FULL CLOSED COURSE
Oct 13 - 15, 2023 St. Isidore
Oct 13 - 15, 2023 Alberta Centre for Trapping & Bushcraft, Dapp
Oct 19 - 21, 2023, High Level NPTC CLOSED COURSE
Oct 20 - 22, 2023 Jumping Pound - Calgary
Oct 27 - 29, 2023 Grande Prairie
Nov 17 - 19, 2023 Alberta Centre for Trapping & Bushcraft, Dapp
Dec 1 - 3, Clive Westling Hall
Dec 1 - 3, Fort Saskatchewan
Dec 8 - 10, 2023 Alberta Centre for Trapping & Bushcraft, Dapp
Dec 8 - 10, 2023 Yellowhead County
Jan 19 - 21, 2024 Alberta Centre for Trapping & Bushcraft, Dapp
Feb 9 - 11, 2024 Alberta Centre for Trapping & Bushcraft, Dapp
Mar 15 - 17, 2024 Alberta Centre for Trapping & Bushcraft, Dapp
Mar 22 - 24, 2024 Lethbridge CLOSED COURSE
Apr 19 - 21, 2024 Alberta Centre for Trapping & Bushcraft, Dapp
May 24 - 26, 2024 Alberta Centre for Trapping & Bushcraft, Dapp

These courses are offered throughout the province at various locations, at various times of the year.

The Standard Trapping course is your first step toward becoming a trapper. The course includes:

  • instruction on the safe use of traps and other equipment,

  • biology of furbearers,

  • animal management,

  • marketing and grading of furs,

  • skinning and fur handling, as well as

  • humane trapping techniques.

The Alberta Government refers to a Trapline as a Registered Fur Management Area (R.F.M.A)

There are two kinds of trapping licences in Alberta:

  1. Registered Licence and

  2. Resident Licence.

A Registered License allows a trapper the right to trap a portion of Alberta and with that privilege the trapper may have a cabin to help with trapping activities. This is most commonly called a “trapline”. A trapper does not own the land but has the right to trap the fur on that portion subject to a five-year permit with annual renewals. The trapper cannot sell the land on which they trap, selling a trapline refers to the assets within that trapline.

The Resident Licence allows a trapper to trap on private property with the owner’s permission. This simply requires the consent of the landowner through a properly filled out government form called a WA 19A, available for download here, or at a Fish and Wildlife district office. Your Resident Trapping Licence number must be legible on the form. Many trappers choose this method of trapping and – subject to seasons – resident trappers can harvest most furbearers in the province.

Both Registered and Resident trappers are subject to the rules, regulations and seasons. A guide to these is found in the Alberta Trapping Regulations, which are published yearly.

  • The minimum age to take the course is 12, however, an adult in attendance must be assigned responsibility for any student under the age of 18.

  • The cost of the course is $399.00 and includes the Trapper Education Manual.

  • This does NOT include your lodging and meals - this is arranged and paid for by your own preference

Courses Run Friday, Saturday and Sunday

  • There is a minimum of 10 participants required to hold a course


Instructors Vary

Trapping Instructors are trained by the Alberta Trappers Association. They follow a Code of Conduct as well as staying up to date with their skills at an annual training session.

"If you have taken a course or workshop at the Alberta Centre for Trapping & Bushcraft and would like to leave a review on Google, here is the link to share your experience"

bottom of page