Information Sharing Between

Industry & Trappers

  • Contact your insurance agent and insure your equipment (i.e. generator, cabin and contents, etc). If possible, take all necessary action to prevent thefts. Common sense should prevail, and valuable equipment must be secured and marked.

  • Contact Alberta Public Lands Division to discuss a miscellaneous lease(s) for your cabin(s). It is also very important to ensure cabins are built in accordance with the government cabin policy.

  • Advise the Fish and Wildlife and Public Lands Divisions of all cabin locations, providing them with photographs of the cabin and your trapping equipment. Keep invoices, as proof of purchase is often required when theft takes place or vandalism problems are encountered.

  • Report at once any thefts or vandalism to the RCMP

  • All claims must be prepared on the ATCP claim form and submitted to the Alberta Trappers’ Association office.

  • All companies planning activities that include resource extraction or exploration must notify the RFMA holder at least 10 days in advance of the work; much earlier notification is of benefit to all parties. 10 days’ notice does not, in many cases, provide trappers much time to adjust their operations. To prevent conflict, it’s recommended that industry field representatives personally contact trappers prior to work commencing.

  • When notice is received, trappers should provide any concerns in writing to the company, and keep a record of all correspondence, meetings and related phone calls. Industry should avoid disrupting trapping operations where possible, or negotiate compensation.

  • Companies are responsible for damage to trapper assets and temporary disruptions. Trappers must provide companies with invoices that reflect reasonable compensation for damage to assets and temporary disruptions that result in lost fur harvest and inconvenience.

  • Photographs are very important: Carry a camera with you and photograph trail and/or trap set damage, along with any other damage to your trapping area.

  • It’s very important for trappers to work closely with companies operating on their RFMA. This helps ensure that companies operate cooperatively; working together leads to better outcomes, reducing expensive conflicts and hard feelings.

  • When conflicts occur and can’t be resolved, fully completed claims are to be forwarded to the ATA office for review by the ATCB. 

  • Where extensive forest harvesting and/or and oil and gas activity results in a long-term loss of income, claims will be considered by the ATCP. These claims are limited to a maximum of 5 years and will be subject to a very comprehensive review. Trappers are required to provide a great deal of information (i.e. maps, photographs, fur harvest records, etc.). Consult with your Fish and Wildlife Biologist, who must provide a letter of support on your behalf for a claim to be considered valid.

Contact Information

Hwy 44 Sth Industrial Park, Lot 14

PO Box 6020

Westlock, AB  T7P 2P7

Phone: 780-349-6626

Hours of Operation

Winter Hours Oct 1 - May 1

Mon - Sat: 9:00 am - 5:00 pm

Summer Hours May 1 - Oct 1

Mon - Fri: 8:30 am - 4:30 pm

  • Alberta Trappers Twitter
  • Alberta Trappers Facebook Group
Alberta Trappers Assciation

© 2019 Property of The Alberta Trappers Association. All Rights Reserved | Web Design by Dusty Road Photos